The Hunter Valley is fortunate to have a hemp processing mill in New South Wales. Industrial Hemp is grown throughout the Hunter Valley and processed locally in Dungog by Hemp International Australia. As a building material, hemp masonry (hempcrete) is a beautiful and natural material that offers numerous unique characteristics:
- It's non-toxic
- Provides excellent thermal insulation
- Provides both sound insulation and absorption
- Is a fire retardant
- Termite resistant
- A natural biocide so is a mould retardant
- Breathable walls provide excellent air quality
- A carbon negative building material - the fast growing hemp absorbs approximately 10 tonnes per hectare of carbon dioxide during the growth phase alone. This is then locked into the building where it continues to draw carbon from the atmosphere as it cures slowly over time
- It can be coloured with natural oxides and coated with a clear natural sealer for a stunning feature wall or covered with a natural render.
Hannan Build exclusively use the Australian Hemp Masonry Company binder because it is manufactured locally in Australia and is BCA compliant.